Okay, please forgive me but this isn’t an Asian dish, but an Arab dip. Living in Kuwait for over four years, I was addicted to this eggplant dip called mutabal. I’m not really sure what the correct spelling is, but that’s what it sounds like. I also really miss the chicken shwarma but I can’t really make that without a spit! So this recipe brings back fond memories and is pretty close to what we used to get. If you love eggplant, like me, please try it!
Roasted Eggplant Dip, Mutabul
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoon tahini (sesame paste)
- juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- garnish with olive oil, parsley and paprika
- set oven to roast at 400F
- Prick eggplant with fork
- Place eggplant on foil and roast for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on size of eggplant.
- Cut off stem and remove skin, using a knife, it just slips right off
- In a food processor, add the eggplant , one clove of garlic, juice of one lemon, one teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons tahini, one tablespoon of olive oil. Blend until smooth. Adjust taste.
- Enjoy with pita bread, corn chips, veggie sticks or crackers.