Summertime often calls for large gatherings with friends. This simple slightly sweet salad includes sesame seeds and almonds giving it a savory nutty flavor. It’s is a good dish to bring to any barbeque. Because it’s so easy to make, it’s one of our family staples throughout the year too!
Here are the four basic ingredients: cabbage, green onions, roasted sesame seeds and unsalted roasted almonds. I get my almonds at Trader Joe’s – they have an unsalted roasted slice package that’s real convenient. If I don’t have the almonds, I just leave it out. Also, if I’m out of white roasted sesame seeds I use black. Being flexible makes cooking less stressful!
- 1 head cabbage – thinly sliced
- 6 green onions – chopped
- 6 Tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
- 3 Tablespoons roasted almond seeds
- ¼ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- slice cabbage into thin strips, you can use a mandolin too
- chop the green onions
- in a dry hot frying pan, roast the sesame seeds until slightly fragrant, but don’t let them burn!
- crush them with a mortar and pestle – I use a Japanese suri bashi
- next, roast the almonds in the same pan.
- Toss all the above ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate jar, mix the dressing ingredients.
- Shake well then pour over cabbage mixture. Blend well.
- If you like you can pour this dressing an hour or two before hand to let the flavors marinate. Unlike leaf salads, it can sit in the dressing and still taste good.
Hope you give this a try! And don’t forget the added benefit of sesame seeds, they are full of calcium!