The typical Asian spring roll has a combination of ground pork, beansprouts, shiitake mushrooms, cabbage and some bean thread. However, this tuna spring roll recipe is definitely original, different, fun, and yummy!
The are only four filling ingredients and you probably have them on hand: tuna, onions, parsley, and mayonnaise! Yup, you’re right, it’s not very Asian. But, these are the easiest, most delicious spring rolls ever.
Many years ago, I got this recipe from a famous Japanese actress. She brought it to one of our gatherings and I just couldn’t get enough of them. I finally had to ask her for the recipe and she told me her sister made them. From that day onward, I’ve made these spring rolls for many, many parties. They always go very quickly. And I promise, you and your dish will be a big hit!
Also, since the tuna is cooked and the onions and parsley can really be eaten raw, your main concern when frying the spring rolls is to make sure the wrappers are golden brown and the filling is warm. Oh, and one other reminder. Make sure you buy spring roll wrappers not egg roll wrappers. They’re different. Egg roll wrappers are a thicker dough, while spring roll wrappers are paper thin.
The hardest part for many is the actually rolling of the spring roll. So here’s a quick video.
- Defrost spring roll wrappers and set aside
- Remove leaves from parsley sprigs, chop leaves and place in bowl
- slice onion and add to bowl
- drain can of tuna, break apart and add to bowl
- add mayonnaise to bowl and mix all ingredients together
- turn the wrapper on a diagonal so one corner is facing you
- place one heaping tablespoon of filling, laying it horizontal across sheet
- roll from corner to reach half way, then fold sides in at edges
- continue to roll, leaving a little triangle at the end.
- mix cornstarch and water to make a paste
- spread over edges and seal the roll
- Watch my video on how to roll.
- Deep fry over medium heat until golden brown. Drain. Don't cover as the steam will make them soggy. You want them crisp!
Please do give this a try because it’s super easy. Let me know how you like them! Enjoy.