Do you love sushi? Have you tried to make it at home? Why not make the sushi ginger, gari, at home!
My sensei always makes her own gari and her recipe is easy to adapt for small batches. In this recipe I used just one large fresh ginger root and was able to make enough for a small 8 oz. jam jar.
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- sterilize jar in hot water, or use dishwasher
- peel ginger and slice into very thin bite size pieces, you may use a mandolin
- put sliced ginger into jar and you may squeeze them in.
- in a pot heat ¼ cup vinegar, ¼ cup water and add ¼ cup sugar
- bring to a boil and until all sugar dissolves
- pour the hot liquid into the jar, screw on lid and flip it upside down for five minutes. This will seal the lid.
Gari can be enjoyed with sushi and other Asian dishes as well, such as fried noodles or even a stir-fry! Hope you try home-made gari!