The bedroom is one of the three most important features in a house. It affects health, relationships, emotions, and child bearing.
As a place for rest and replenishing energy, the bedroom should be cozy and private. In order to have abundant energy, a bedroom should not be oversized.
In the Imperial Palace of China’s Forbidden City, the emperor’s bedroom is very modest in size only slightly over 200 square feet or 20 square meters. This was designed to ensure the room had a high energy level.
Since a bedroom is a yin room, it should have fewer windows, less light, and a limited number of circular objects.
The most important consideration of bedroom design is the placement of the bed.
The ideal placement should follow these guidelines:
- The head of the bead should rest against a solid wall.
- There should be no window directly behind the headboard, however a transom window high above the bed or windows on both sides of the bed is permissible.
- There should be no door or passageway on either side aligned with the head position of the bed.
- There should be no door directly in front of the bed.
- The door or passageway into the bedroom should be diagonally in front of the bed, clearly visible from the position of the bed.
- There should not be any heavy object handing directly above the bed.
Which direction is better
There are people who prefer to sleep in the north-south direction with the notion that it is better to have their body in alignment with the earth’s magnetic line. There are also those who believe we should sleep in the east-west direction, in sync with the earth’s rotation.
In spite of these preferences, to sleep with a solid wall behind the head position with a view of the door in front is most important. This will assure a more secure and relaxed feeling for a good night’s sleep.
Feng shui of sleeping toward a door
The idea not sleeping with your feet pointing toward a door is derived from the custom that the dead are carried out of a room or a house, feet first. Therefore, in Asia as well as in Europe, there are people who avoid sleeping with their feet pointing directly toward the door, as it is considered an inauspicious position.
Even though this is a folk belief, from a feng shui point of view, there is some valid reasoning for this. Since good feng shui design stresses smooth energy flow, a door directly aligned with the end of the bed creates qi flowing too fast and thus not desirable.
Psychologically, it makes you feel more vulnerable and less secure. Many people intuitively place a low chest at the end of the bed, acting as a form of buffer and protection.
The e-book is available at:
* To order feng shui consultation or feng shui classes please contact Jenny:
Phone: (425) 444–3046
* And do not forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel